[thechat] wine (was: GOLD)

javier velasco lists at mantruc.com
Mon Dec 16 13:59:01 CST 2002

"Luther, Ron" wrote:

> Hey Javier ... as a side note to the US/Chilean trade agreement ...
> how 'bout some tips on fine Chilean wine??

there is such variety it's hard to tell, there's something in the soil
that makes them very good, it's hard to find a bad wine around here :-P

i can point you to some of the newer wineries that are very nice:
Santa Ema
Bisquert
Viu Manent
Aresti
Caliterra
Casa Silva
Misiones de Rengo
Gracia
any of those would guarantee a *superb* wine :)

the Merlots from Bisquertt winery
http://www.chilevinos.com/product.asp?pf_id=031201539928&dept_id=15
are great, the one in the URL is the top one afaik, i've only had lesser
bottles and they are great

we have great Cabenet Sauvignon too, from many houses
Don Melchor from Concha y Toro, the most exported winery, or the awarded
Casa Silva
http://www.chilevinos.com/product.asp?pf_id=030671020039&dept_id=10

but the most unique is a variety that is only produced in our land,
Carmenere. it's a bit more fruity than a Caberent Sauvignon
this particular bottle is expensive, but there are cheaper carmeneres
that are still very good
http://www.chilevinos.com/product.asp?pf_id=030681229931&dept_id=12