[thechat] Islam -- alcohol

Chris Marsh chris at webbtech.co.uk
Tue Dec 17 14:38:01 CST 2002

> At 01:14 AM 18-12-02, Syed Zeeshan Haider wrote:
> > > I would be interested in the comment of practicing muslims.
> >
> >What do you mean by "practicing muslims"?
>
> I think he meant, "People who follow Islam and practise all
> its tenets strictly." (One of which is the avoidance of alcohol.)
>
> Or "devout Muslims", if you prefer.
>
> Chris?

Yeah, that was about it. What I was really getting at was that (as
someone mentioned in another post) I know several "muslims" who enjoy a
good drink. Their comment would be as valid as mine or a "christian"'s,
but what I was really looking for was an insight from someone who would
behave in a similar manner. And student parties aside, it's a bit
difficult to drink on a regular basis without touching the vessel
containing the alcohol ;)

Either the individual concerned was using religion as an excuse to be
lazy or he was not the questioning type and had merely accepted islamic
dogma without any thought as to how it should be applied in a
predominantly non-islamic society. The other possibility was that I was
missing something, hence the question.

Regards

Chris Marsh