[thechat] Personal Firewall recomendations

kevin D. white kevination at suchsmallhands.com
Fri Dec 20 10:23:01 CST 2002

I would like to hear recommendations from the group on software-based
personal firewalls. My primary computer is a Dell inspiron 8200 laptop
running Win2K server. I am currently using Tiny Personal Firewall(TPF),
http://www.tinysoftare.com/. I am utterly fed up with their new version
4 product. Without going on a rant, version 4 is a total disaster and I
want to get very far away from it.

There is one very positive feature of TPF and that's their Sandbox
module. The Sandbox allows me to tightly restrict any application's
access to vital system resources. For example, I was able to block the
new mp3 exploit that affects WinAmp because I only allow WinAmp
read-only access to my music folder. I would love to find a replacement
firewall that has comparable Sandbox capability.

I've looked at Zone Alarm Pro but haven't downloaded a demo. I have not
looked at Norton but have read disturbing reports about recent bugs and
problems. I would love to hear everyone' suggestions but please focus on
just personal firewalls that run on the computer.

--
---
kevin D. white
email, kevination at suchsmallhands.com