[thechat] New Year's Resolution

Madhu Menon webguru at vsnl.net
Thu Jan 2 10:48:04 CST 2003

At 09:45 PM 02-01-03, John Handelaar wrote:
>I did *that* just by cutting out white flour.

Yes, refined carbs aren't good.

>but speaking as
>a half-Scots, half-Irish person,

Omigod! Is that why you're so hot-headed?   :p j/k

>anything which requires
>me to not consume bread, potatoes *or* booze is a diet
>you can shove up your supplement shake can.

A baked potato (about 100 calories) is not the same as 5 teaspoons of
refined sugar (also about 100 calories). One is a complex carb that will
take a fair few calories (and much longer) to just break it down, while the
other is dumped straight into your blood stream, causing the insulin spike
that Atkins and his minions speak of.

Even the glycemic index of a food changes depending on what you eat with it.

Did I just start an argument? I didn't mean to, honest. I will not pursue
this further.

Last word: Lemme just say that grain (rice usually) is the cornerstone of
most Asian diets (Thailand, India, China.)
The Chinese people eat a ton of carbs by way of rice, but how many obese
people do you see there and in other Asian countries like Thailand? Not
many. Just ask someone who's visited. (Hugh, Isaac...)

Regards,

Madhu

Madhu Menon
Internet User Experience Consultant
e-mail: webguru at vsnl.net   |   Yahoo messenger: cold_logic

Content * Interfaces * Usability * Net Strategy