[thechat] rationality is not enough (was: New Year's Resolution)

aardvark roselli at earthlink.net
Fri Jan 3 13:07:00 CST 2003

> From: javier velasco <lists at mantruc.com>
[...]
> i'm not talking about spirituality here, it's just that there are
> things in life that defeat traditional rationality...
[...]
> i turned in amazement and told her i was thinking of "it tastes like
> Peru" wow, she said, "i was thikning that it was a little bit sweet,
> but then when talking, i changed my mind and said Peru instead"
[...]
> months before, in that same instant she says "Monse said she was
> coming with Marcela" my jaw fell open.
>
> these are just two episodes that exemplify conectedness, thought
> transmission or telepathy, something constantly rejected by
> traditional science and rationality. there are lots of things like
> this that happen in life that are not explained by rationality.

i don't buy it...

sorry, man, but i have that happen often enough, and i've got my
own idea on those completing sentence situations...

you and pilar are of like minds... i say that just based on things
you've said here, your site, and offlist conversations... it's part of
the reason you to are so good with each other...

people of like minds can be brought to similar thoughts by a chunk
of environmental stimulus that they both experience... my brother
and i can see a block of cheese across the room and both say,
"the cat got into it," without any telepathic link... if one of us wasn't
there, the other would still say it...

i dated a girl i knew so well, that i had a pretty good idea what she
was thinking and could pre-emptively answer her questions... that
wasn't telepathy, that was foresight...

my mother and her sister, separated by 10 years (and 1 day) and
80 miles or so, buy each other the same cards all the time on all
holidays... sure, it's an odd coincidence, but they think alike...

--
Read the evolt.org case study
Usability: The Site Speaks for Itself