[thechat] rationality is not enough (was: New Year's Resolution)

javier velasco lists at mantruc.com
Fri Jan 3 13:31:00 CST 2003

aardvark wrote:

> > From: javier velasco <lists at mantruc.com>
> [...]
> > i'm not talking about spirituality here, it's just that there are
> > things in life that defeat traditional rationality...
> [...]
> > i turned in amazement and told her i was thinking of "it tastes like
> > Peru" wow, she said, "i was thikning that it was a little bit sweet,
> > but then when talking, i changed my mind and said Peru instead"
> [...]
> > months before, in that same instant she says "Monse said she was
> > coming with Marcela" my jaw fell open.
> >
> > these are just two episodes that exemplify conectedness, thought
> > transmission or telepathy, something constantly rejected by
> > traditional science and rationality. there are lots of things like
> > this that happen in life that are not explained by rationality.
>
> i don't buy it...
>
> sorry, man, but i have that happen often enough, and i've got my
> own idea on those completing sentence situations...

these are not the same case, on the tomato case it wasn't just
completing the sentence, she _changed_her_mind_ (by the time i was
completing her sentence in my head)

and the one about our friend... we both thought about the same thing in
the same moment after 4 days of not talking about the subject at all.
that one could be attribute to coincidence, but it was wierd

it's pretty obvious that her and I have many things in common and we
spend a lot of time togehter, but these kind of episodes is beyond
simple affinity, my friends. i don't things are so simple.

anyway, this is also like trying to make someone change your religion.
even for some people, rationality can be some sort of religion. my stand
is "it's not so simple" or as björk put it "there's more to life than
this" ;)