[thechat] Ohio State

rudy rudy937 at rogers.com
Sun Jan 5 20:15:02 CST 2003

> But that call didn't make the game.

that's not the way i remember it

(however, it's now a couple days ago, and you know how my memory is...)

as i recall, it was ohio state's 4th down, incomplete, drive ends, miami
wins

okay, let's see if i can find something on it...

ah, here's an excerpt from an AP story in the Columbus NE (huh?) Telegram
(via google news) --

<><><>

After Kellen Winslow Jr.'s 7-yard TD catch gave Miami a 24-17 lead in the
first overtime, Krenzel converted a fourth-and-14 pass.

The Buckeyes then faced a fourth-and-3 at the 5 when Krenzel threw to the
right corner of the end zone for Chris Gamble, who was being covered Glenn
Sharpe.

As Gamble reached back for the ball, he got his hands on it but couldn't
hold on. Seconds later, field judge Terry Porter threw a flag from the back
of the end zone indicating pass interference even as Miami players and fans
spilled onto the field.

"He was holding me. He was in my facemask and my shoulder pads," Gamble
said. "I was waiting for the flag, but he kind of hesitated. I didn't see
him going for the flag and I thought, 'He ain't going to throw it.' Luckily,
he did, and I'm like, 'Whew."'

Porter said: "I saw the guy holding the guy prior to the ball being in the
air. He was still holding him, pulling him down while the ball was in the
air."

Order was restored quickly, and three plays later Krenzel scored from the 1
to send the game to a second OT.

<><><>

the television replay didn't show any of what that ref in the end zone said
he saw

rudy