[thechat] TV Capture (was: ohio state)

Tony Crockford tonyc at boldfish.co.uk
Mon Jan 6 03:35:00 CST 2003

 >On a related note, I want to rip the game (4.5 hours) off my Tivo.  I
 >can send to VCR, so I figure I can get a decent capture card & hard
 >drive and burn it on to VCD. Any suggestions on how to do
 this on $250
 >or less?

A note of warning from personal experience:

the cheaper capture cards rely on using your existing sound card to get
the sound.

You're exporting RGB analogue to the capture card and the sound (via)
phono leads to your sound card.  My experience was that after about 15
minutes of capture the sound and picture were unacceptably out of sync.

I ended up capturing 5 minute chunks and stitching it together!

Then I upgraded to Win2k and the card manufacturer refused to update the
drivers, then I lost interest in capturing video.

The latest capture cards are generally aimed at Digital camcorders, so
check for a compatible RGB input and determine how sound is captured
too!

HTH

Tony