[thechat] sharks (was: rationality)

deke web at master.gen.in.us
Mon Jan 6 13:41:01 CST 2003

On 6 Jan 2003 at 12:59, Ben Dyer posted a message which said:

> At 12:39 PM 1/6/2003, you wrote:
> >You've obviously never experienced a kamikazi deer attack
> I would like to take this time to say that the word you're actually
> after is "kamikaze".  "Kaze" is Japanese for wind (Kamikaze meaning
> "Divine Wind" or "Godly Wind").  "Kazi" means fire, I think.

Thanks. I appreciate pedantry.

I wasn't sure of the spelling, but Google gives 9680 hits on Kamikazi,
so apparently I'm not the only dolt in the crowd.  (340K on your
spelling.)

The spelling of words in a language other than the original is always a
bit problematic. Most of us spelt it Peking for decades, and now the
city is Beijing. Do you are suppose all the cookbooks changing the
recipe name from Peking Duck to Beijing Duck?

deke
--
If I have seen farther than others, it is by stepping on the toes of
giants