[thechat] sharks (was: rationality)

aardvark roselli at earthlink.net
Mon Jan 6 21:10:01 CST 2003

> From: Ben Dyer <ben_dyer at imaginuity.com>
> >
> >Not another anime dude. I thought my brother was the only one. ;)
> >
> >Don't tell me you can sing anime songs too? (My brother does that,
> >and it's scary.)
>
> Not in public, not unless I want to kill everyone.  I'm kinda like
> Minmay in that regard.  (OK, probably *no one* is going to get that
> one...)

of course everyone will get it... be less obvious, use Eve... at
least she was computer-generated...

> But, to answer your question, yes, I have memorized entirely too many
> anime theme songs (not gonna list them off: too many and no one else
> knows them anyway).  And, yes, it is scary.  I have no life
> whatsoever.

recognizing the theme song to Kiki's Delivery Service is one thing...
knowing Lonely Soldier Boy, and singing it on the street, is
another...

> Trivia for non-anime fans: many anime fans refer to themselves as an
> "otaku" which in Japanese is roughly the equivalent of an obsessed fan
> (of anything, not necessarily anime).  Anyways, it's a big insult in
> Japan to call someone that, as "otaku" literally translates to
> "house," as in, something who stays in their house all day.  It
> carries very negative connotations.

when i worked the entertainment gig at the uni years ago, i got to be
the guest film programmer when it came time to the annual anime
fest... watermarking "Otaku" onto the flyers was surprisingly
effective in drawing people in -- they knew the people doing it knew
their stuff, even if the print of Wings of Honneamise was
surprisingly crappy...

--
my latest book project:
  Web Graphics for Non-Designers