[thechat] 2nd hard drive - jumper switches question

Shirley Kaiser, SKDesigns (laptop) skaiser1 at skdesigns.com
Tue Jan 7 01:18:01 CST 2003

Hi, everyone,

Thought I'd send a note and see if anyone's awake and around. If not I'll
just wait until morning... it's 11pm here in California anyway.

I have a question about the jumpers on a 2nd hard drive that I just
installed. Here's some info, and I'm happy to send along any other info
that may be helpful... just let me know.

I've just installed a 2nd drive on my Dell 330 workstation. I've connected
it as the "Slave" and connected the DC cable to it. All that has gone fine.

Reading Dell's documentation about installing hard drives, they also tell
me to refer to the new hard drive's documentation about the jumpers. Well,
Dell didn't send me any documentation with this hard drive! So,  I have no
documentation to refer to... agh!

I'm not sure if they're fine from the factory or not... well, and then I
wonder if I'd need to change the jumpers on the main drive, too. The last
time I fiddled with jumper switches was on a 14.4 modem way back when that
was considered fast....;-)

I'm going to check Dell's site to see if I can find anything further there,
and I may go to Western Digital's site, too. I have a tough time finding
what I need at Dell's site, though, so I thought I'd send this off to see
if anyone happens to know something, some references.... whatever.

First, here's the info about installing a hard drive to the 330 mini tower.
<http://support.ap.dell.com/docs/systems/ws330/en/ug/html/upgrades.htm#1032633>

I got a Western Digital 200 Gig caviar  hard drive, and the packing slip
shows 200GB SE ATA/100 IDE Drive 7200RPM.

Since they didn't send any documentation with it I had no idea I'd need to
check the jumpers and possibly make something different there.... and
there's NO documentation to refer to.... agh!

So my computer is all torn apart on the floor. I don't even want to plug it
in and try anything until I have a clue about those jumpers....

I'm crossing my fingers that someone out there is awake and has a clue...
and I'm happy to provide more details if needed, of course.

TIA,

Typing from my laptop, worth its weight in gold at the moment...;-)

Shirley
Shirley E. Kaiser, M.A.,  SKDesigns  mailto:skaiser1 at skdesigns.com
Website Design, Development      http://www.skdesigns.com/
WebsiteTips: Design Resources  http://www.websitetips.com/