[thechat] 2nd hard drive - jumper switches question

Shirley Kaiser, SKDesigns (laptop) skaiser1 at skdesigns.com
Tue Jan 7 01:39:01 CST 2003

At 11:24 PM 1/6/2003, you typed:
>Shirley,
>
>IIRC, removing all jumpers makes the drive a slave.

Ah, OK.

It looks like the main drive may have 2 jumper switches on there, and the
new 2nd hard drive currently has 1. So, from what you're saying, it sounds
like I could remove the switch on the 2nd hard drive.

>That's purely speculative and based on my recollection of personal
>experiences, but it's almost 1:30am here and I'm trying to eat my #6
>from Wendy's. :)

Ah, you're making me hungry. ;-)

>The jumper settings are also usually ON the actual hard drive itself
>(the label on the top), and sometimes not in the documentation at all...

Ah, you mean it might actually be right in front of my nose and I missed
it?!.... (pause while I go look)

Well, rats.. nothing there but serial numbers... although maybe that's just
their code that you have to crack to figure out the jumper switch settings. ;-)

OK. Well, thanks for sending me your thoughts here. I appreciate it.

>Hope this helps.
>
>--Ken

Me, too! Thanks, Ken!

Warmly,