[thechat] 2nd hard drive - jumper switches question

Shirley Kaiser, SKDesigns (laptop) skaiser1 at skdesigns.com
Tue Jan 7 02:00:01 CST 2003

At 11:41 PM 1/6/2003, you typed:
>Ken Kogler wrote:
> > Shirley,
> >
> > IIRC, removing all jumpers makes the drive a slave.
> >
> > That's purely speculative and based on my recollection of personal
> > experiences, but it's almost 1:30am here and I'm trying to eat my #6
> > from Wendy's. :)
>
>No, that WD drive requires a jumper in to set either master, slave or CS -
>with the jumper out, it thinks it's the only drive on that IDE channel.
>Just you concentrate on eating that #6 dude :)

Yeah, and I wish you'd share that burger, too. ;-) Ah, well... I raided my
frig. :-)

> > The jumper settings are also usually ON the actual hard drive itself
> > (the label on the top), and sometimes not in the documentation at all...
>
>Yeah, I would have said so too, but the last time I looked at a WD drive was
>a couple of WD800JBs (damn, those are fast, with the 8MB of onboard cache -
>w00t), and I'd look at them again, but they're in a 1U box in a rack in
>Telehouse, which is rather far away from me right now :)

Thanks. I appreciate the thought. And thanks for the URL in your last note,
too! I just checked the packing slip, and mine is the WD200JB, so your URL
gave me the quick jump to find that one's jumper settings.
<http://support.wdc.com/techinfo/general/jumpers.asp>

So I'm making some good forward steps here, thanks to you two.

The Wendy's #6 won't go out of my head, though.... ;-)

Thanks! I may actually pull this off without blowing up my computer....  I
really appreciate your help. I owe you a Wendy's or a beer or something.... :-)

Warmly,
Shirley
Shirley E. Kaiser, M.A.,  SKDesigns  mailto:skaiser1 at skdesigns.com
Website Design, Development      http://www.skdesigns.com/