[thechat] Online community was: 2nd hard drive - jumper switches question

Tony Crockford tonyc at boldfish.co.uk
Tue Jan 7 04:29:01 CST 2003

> Thanks again for the assistance! Ah, e-mail has certainly
> changed our lives
> -- I love being able to connect with people like this. I've tried to
> explain such things to people who've never experienced an
> online community
> like this and they just don't get it. Guess it's one of those
> things you
> have to experience to "get it."
>
> :-)
>
> Warmly,
> Shirley

+1 to that.

I think the lack of a vocabulary to describe what goes on is part of the
problem.

Trying to explain how you learned something new:

Me: "someone on one of my lists said...."

GF: "do you know them?"

Me:" we've never met, but we've talked a lot"

GF: "when did you talk? they're in America, that would cost a fortune!"

Me: "No, we've not actually talked, just had an email conversation..."

GF: "how can you have a conversation in email?"

Me " help! "

Perhaps we need to standardise "our" language, so the idea of an online
community is easier to grasp?