[thechat] Kosher

Joe Crawford joe at artlung.com
Wed Jan 8 00:52:00 CST 2003

On Wed, 8 Jan 2003, Madhu Menon wrote:
> Since India has only a couple of hundred Jews, maybe you can help.
>
> What exactly does "kosher" mean? What are the dietary restrictions
> involved? Is chicken OK? How about pork?
>
> Dictionary.com isn't terribly helpful.

for questions like this, I like AnswerBus:
http://misshoover.si.umich.edu/~zzheng/qa-new/
 -- what are the kosher dietary restrictions?

yields:
http://www.ebfarm.com/produce_kosher.html
=====
What is "Kosher"?
"Kosher," meaning "fit" or "proper" in Hebrew, refers to Jewish dietary
laws, originating in the Old Testament, that govern the selection and
preparation of food. The basic kosher laws are that certain non-kosher
foods, principally pork and shellfish, may not be eaten, and that milk
products and meat dishes may never be eaten together.

Kosher goods, whether sold by large companies or corner butchers, must
carry the certification of a rabbinical organization that has overseen its
production and can vouch for its purity.
=====

And this: http://www.google.com/search?q=kosher+laws+judaism

http://www.jewfaq.org/kashrut.htm awesome.

Mitch Wagner has been blogging about his own experiences with kosher food
- might be interesting to you. http://blog.mitchwagner.com/

HTH!
	Joe
p.s.: looking up the term kosher makes me hanker for a bagels and lox
breakfast platter.
--
Joe "ArtLung" Crawford
San Diego California USA: http://artlung.com/