[thechat] File (esp. mp3) sharing apps

David Wagner dave at worlddomination.net
Mon Jan 13 22:30:00 CST 2003

Okay, so I haven't actually used anything Napster- or Gnutella-like for well
over a year, but I hear that things have changed. Like the fact that Napster
doesn't exist anymore. :)

What's everybody using these days? What's the hip new app that can't be
beat? And, for that matter, when was the last time you heard someone use the
term "peer-to-peer file sharing"?

A friend of mine was, as she put it, "jonesing for some new live Ani
tracks", which she knows are out there but she can't seem to find in
quantity. (Apologies to those who have worked for Righteous Babe and/or find
such unauthorized sharing abhorrent. Flames and beatdowns may be submitted
offlist.)

So she's looking for a file sharing "community" or "network" or whatever
that doesn't just cater to top-40, but instead focuses on distributing
interesting material to hardcore fans.

Sadly, no, fan websites don't seem to be doing the trick.

Any ideas?

TIA.

--

David Wagner