[thechat] which country?

Drew Shiel ashiel at sportsinteraction.com
Wed Jan 15 15:09:00 CST 2003

At 00:22 16/01/2003 +1100, Lachlan Cannon wrote:
>Yes, it would be nice if they'd embrace their bias instead of hiding it.
>I mean it's so obvious in some places they mayaswell just come out and
>say it. What'd be wrong wiht making journalism subjective anyway? My
>favourite part of the paper is the editorial. What they'd need, though,
>would be to have a facts box along with the articles, so you could
>easily get them down before reading the opinions of the reporters.
>
>Or something.

   Even that can be swung if you select your facts carefully. Indeed, it's
not so hard; you just pick a bunch of facts that suit your point of view,
throw in one or two that don't so as to pretend you're being fair, and presto!

   Religious publications can be very good at this; the Watchtower, a
Jehovah's Witness magazine, is expert at it. I used to go speechless with
rage when our local JH at home would try to use articles from it as proof
of the falseness of evolution, etc. But you can see it in any publication
by an extreme group, be they religious, political, anarchical, or whatever.

   Drew.

Drew Shiel                               webmaster at swiftpay.com
                                                     +353-1-2365705