[thechat] Visual Studio 6 or Visual Studio .NET?

kevin D. white kevination at suchsmallhands.com
Wed Jan 15 20:37:01 CST 2003

Quackamoe wrote:
>He says we
> can either get Visual Studio 6 or Visual Studio .NET.
> We're going to use .NET in the labs but he says you
> can use 6 okay-fine for what we're going to be doing.

Try to do a decent global Search & Replace in VS 6 and you'll run
screaming to .NET. VS is a decent IDE, .NET is very good.

> Now, I have nothing upon which to make this choice
> so I thought I'd see if you could help me make an
> *informed* choice. I have a PC with Win98SE and a
> laptop* with Win2KPro.

I am running VS.NET on a Dell Inspiron 8100 with 512MB RAM and Win2K. I
also have it installed on a P4 workstation. I probably use VS.NET on my
laptop more than the workstation. I have no complaints with VS.NET on my
laptop.

Personally, I think your professor should make you start out with GCC
and a text-editor. But that's probably just the cranky "old-school" talking.

--
---
kevin D. white
email, kevination at suchsmallhands.com