[thechat] b&w photography

Luther, Ron Ron.Luther at hp.com
Thu Jan 16 07:14:00 CST 2003

Ken Kogler Kommented:

>>I set up a tripod and framed the shot the way I wanted it... Then
>>snapped a whole roll of film (24 pictures), each picture with slightly
>>different settings...

>>It's not so much talent as persistence. :)

Ah!  The 'statistical' approach to photography!   ;-)

Hey - it works! (And if you 'buy bulk' and roll your own film cans the
cost isn't that bad either.)

The 'tough' part, for me anyway, is keeping a record of those settings so
that when you review the results you can learn what 'worked' and what didn't.
And that knowledge translates directly into a higher percentage of better
pictures.

Then again, those 'bad' shots also give you an opportunity to develop your
darkroom skills for correction.

This is where I have high hopes for digital photography.  I can 'burn'
100 pictures playing with the manual settings and see the results fairly
quickly.

Have you tried one of those studies working with the colored filters yet?
(I always thought those were pretty neat.)
http://photographytips.com/page.cfm/300
http://www.ubmail.ubalt.edu/~dhaynes/photo/filters.htm

RonL.
(Who would like to take a darkroom course some time.)