[thechat] Re:Surgery Tools Left in 1,500 People a Year (Madhu Menon)

Natalie Klein nkle at lle.rochester.edu
Thu Jan 16 08:30:01 CST 2003

When I was in college (studied medical illustration) I had to observe
surgery as part of one of my classes. The particular hospital I went to had
dry erase boards in every operating room. Prior to surgery they wrote every
tool, sponge, etc. they opened up for the procedure on the board. Any time
anything else was opened, such as a pack of sponges, it was added to the
list. They had one nurse who was responsible for this list (she would also
fill out paper work, be the gopher,...). Before they closed the nurses
counted everything and compared their counts to the board. They couldn't
finish until everything was accounted for.

You all don't have to worry though, I wasn't allowed within 2 feet of the
incision. It's the pharmaceutical company reps that you have to be wary of.
If you're going for surgery give your doctor an approved list of attendees.
You never know who's going to see your guts!

Natalie

Natalie Klein
Software Development Group
Laboratory for Laser Energetics