[thechat] Re:Surgery Tools Left in 1,500 People a Year

Natalie Klein nkle at lle.rochester.edu
Thu Jan 16 12:24:29 CST 2003

 >Don't they have to take your *permission* before allowing outsiders in there?
 >Weird.

At the time and in Rochester, NY, and from what I understood at the time,
no. This was about 5 years ago. I do know that some doctors would ask their
patients before the procedure and that different hospitals probably have
different policies. As an undergrad I went to a hospital that was mostly
geriatric cases--I went on orthopedic day; i.e., hip replacements. The
graduate students went to the hospital that is part of the medical school
here so I'm sure that there were lots of observers on any given day. By the
time I would show up, get directions from the head nurse, put on scrubs,
... the patient would already be asleep. I would leave before they were
done closing so that I could catch something in another room.

Sales reps were only around occasionally. I remember a rep was there once
because the surgeon was trying out a new product from that particular
company and the rep was on hand to provide any verbal assistance or details
about the product the surgeon might need. Actually, I thought he doctor was
going to punch the rep. The patient was uninsured and had to pay for the
surgery herself. I think the product was some kind of film (too far away to
see). The doctor had a preferred brand but was using the reps version
because he usually got the product free for the first time--he could help
cut the cost of the surgery for the patient. The rep told the surgeon
halfway through surgery that he was going to charge for the sample and that
it was more expensive than the doctor's preferred brand. There was a bit of
yelling and a promise of a serious conversation after--I left before while
they were closing but before the situation was resolved.

Bottom line: Always ask whose going to be around before your procedure. And
bring your own music; otherwise you're at the mercy of the doctors on hand.

Natalie