[thechat] Religious dependance

Joe Crawford joe at artlung.com
Thu Jan 16 23:52:00 CST 2003

On Fri, 17 Jan 2003, Madhu Menon wrote:

> At 10:24 AM 17-01-03, Michele Wandrei wrote:
> >Yes, they are hard things to understand.  I still question
> >everything and see things logically.  Christians still value
> >logic and reason (well, maybe not all of them...)  Blind faith is
> >not necessarily stupid faith.
>
> For the record, the very act of faith is illogical. You may choose to
> follow your faith (and that's fine with me), but  it doesn't follow any
> rules of logic.

Hold on there pardner. I know that you feel that faith is not logical in
any way, but the reality is that there are things unexplained, and will
always be so. It is *possible* that there is a prime mover or force in the
universe that one could call "God" - this would fit into conceptual
models of the universe as we understand it.

The single act of faith is not logical, but religious thought covers a
wide range of activity, including means by which one should treat others,
how one acts in a civil society, and the like.

I would say that logic and theism are not mutually exclusive in the way
you posit.

	Joe
--
Joe "ArtLung" Crawford