[thechat] "Name it" contest

deke web at master.gen.in.us
Fri Jan 17 05:55:01 CST 2003

On 17 Jan 2003 at 11:35, Madhu Menon posted a message which said:
> As much as I'd like to use Madhu, MadMan, or "The Mad Chef" in some way,
> it wouldn't work very well, for the reason I gave to Javier offlist,
> which is that I'm not a "famous chef" yet for my name to carry any
> meaning. That will be the name for my *second* restaurant. ;)

By naming your first restaurant "Jones", you expect "Smith" to become
well-known?  What do you suppose Famous Recipe chicken called
themselves when they first opened?  What about "Old Granddad" whiskey?
Do you suppose it was originally named "Young Pop" whiskey?

It's not exactly "fake it until you make it" when you name your
business. The process of naming your business helps the business define
itself.

> Also, my MadMan nick is known only to friends and family. Would you ask
> a girl to go on a date with you to a place called "MadMan's"? :)

My wife thinks "Madman's" would probably be a fun place to go. It
certainly doesn't sound like it's going to be stodgy, boring,
conservative and conventional.

Remember the Joni Mitchell song "Carey"?

She says she was living on the beach, as a hippie. People would say,
"Sheepie, sheepie, Matalla, Matalla" as if to say, go there, that's
where all the hippies are. And they gathered up all their garbage, egg
shells and orange rinds, etc. and went looking for a place to discard
it. They went into a restaurant there, and this man came up to them and
took it out of their hands and threw it on the floor.

That was Carey. He was the *chef* there.

Come on down to the Mermaid Cafe and I will buy you a bottle of wine
And we'll laugh and toast to nothing and smash our empty glasses down
Let's have a round for these freaks and these soldiers
A round for these friends of mine
Let's have another round for the bright red devil
Who keeps me in this tourist town

If you want to have a *pretty* name, make it BellaLuna. Luna for
lunatic. Bella for pretty. Or for belladonna. Taters, maters, and
peppers are members of the belladonna family.

And besides, everyone who has an opinion about OJ will want to check
out your place.

deke
--
If I have seen farther than others, it is by stepping on the toes of
giants