[thechat] Smoking in the US

Natalie Klein nkle at lle.rochester.edu
Fri Jan 17 15:18:00 CST 2003

The county where I live has had anti-smoking laws for a few years now. I'm
so used to these laws that it shocks me when I go to different parts of the
country and see people smoking in public places. Smoking is on the
decline--I'm often willing to sit in the smoking section of restaurants
when they are busy rather than wait because smoking has dropped off so much.

Maybe it's easier to quit now. There are more resources and support. My
husband quit last March. He used a prescription drug and gave up coffee the
same day he quit smoking. He said giving up the coffee was much worse than
giving up cigarettes--but it was what he needed to do to break the cycle.

Natalie