[thechat] Smoking in the US

deke web at master.gen.in.us
Fri Jan 17 20:38:00 CST 2003

On 17 Jan 2003 at 15:19, Scott Dexter posted a message which said:

> That does not indicate anything. Where would one find numbers on
> cigarette sales?

http://www.tobacco.org/news/105014.html

"We estimate the domestic industry shipped 406.3 billion units in 2001,
down 9.7 percent from 419.3 billion units in 2000. For the fourth
quarter, the domestic industry dropped 5.2 percent to a total of 97.5
billion units. This was caused mainly by a reduction of wholesale
inventory from between 11 billion and 12 billion sticks to about 6
billion sticks in advance of the federal tax increase on Jan. 1, 2002."

--
If I have seen farther than others, it is by stepping on the toes of
giants