[thechat] Religious dependance

Lachlan Cannon luminosity at members.evolt.org
Fri Jan 17 22:08:18 CST 2003

m-s s-u-c-k-s wrote:
>> So what about people dying from cancer and disease? How is that
>> something that must happen for us to have free will?
>
> because adam and eve were given free will. there was also no
> sickness/disease/problems in general. except of course there was the
> serpent
> (the devil) who used mans curiosity/greed against him. as the story goes
> adam ate the fruit and evil was let into the world.

See, now that doesn't make sense to me. If God is a just God as you
assert then why should we be punished now for what some idiot did aeons
ago? How is that just? That's like a court whacking me and my family in
jail because my grandfather committed murder.

> what do you mean by "no-one else made the decisions, did they?" i'm not
> sure
> what "decisions" you are referring to. i will try to respond anyway.

You were talkign about him deciding to give us free will. You said we
couldn't blame himt hat things happened because of that. I was saying we
could. Sure, we might have chose the same thing, but it was him that
chose it.

> you don't give credit/blame to the company that makes the bat that hits the
> ball, you give credit/blame to the person who wields the bat that hits the
> ball.

The people that made the bat didn't make the person who uses it.

Now, having never read the bible my grip of these things is shaky... but
isn't this sin stuff originating from eating an apple from a tree which
they were forbidden to eat. A tree that they were expressly forbidden to
eat from, and was placed right in the middle of where they were staying?

Modern laws call that kind of thing entrapment. What possible purpose
was there for that tree to be there but to tempt them into eating from it?
--
Lach
Web: http://illuminosity.net/