[thechat] keeping track of music?

Syed Zeeshan Haider szh at softhome.net
Sun Jan 19 05:14:00 CST 2003

From: "Shirley Kaiser, SKDesigns"
To: <thechat at lists.evolt.org>
Sent: January 19, 2003, Sunday 2:31 PM
Subject: [thechat] keeping track of music?

> Maybe it's just a dream, but I'd love to one day have a searchable database
> of all my music, including all my piano music and other music scores. I'd
> love to type in a search and get the results for "Rubenstein" or "James
> Taylor" or whatever...

When I get any mp3 music file the first thing I do is edit it's ID3 tags. They
don't always have the right information. I add the most accurate information and
move mp3 to it's directory according to my choice. Then I open Windows Media
Player 7.0 and add this new file to it. Windows Media Player 7.0 automatically
reads ID3 tags and I don't have to tell it the information about mp3. In Windows
Media Player 7.0 I can choose music according to Genre, Artist and Album. I have
created two Playlists in Windows Media Player 7.0. One of them contains
Pakistani music and other is of other countries.

RealPlayer reads ID3 tags differently from Windows Media Player 7.0. You have to
edit both (v1 and v2) types of ID3 tags to make RealPlayer read them accurately.
Initially I used Cowon Jet-Audio to edit ID3 tags which could only edit v1 type.
Now I use MP3/Tag Studio 3.1. It can edit both types of ID3 tags.

Hope this helps!

Syed Zeeshan Haider.
http://syedzeeshanhaider.faithweb.com/