[thechat] keeping track of music?

Norman Beresford n.beresford at anansi.co.uk
Sun Jan 19 09:20:01 CST 2003

It would be quite easy to write something to scan all of your directories,
ripping out ID3 tags and storing the information into a database. I've
actually started to backup most of my CDs as .ogg rather then .mp3 to make
matters a little (but not much) more complicated.

I've got MP3s/OOGs ordered by artist, with subdirectories for complete
albums.  Never bothered organising my physical music. CDs I tend to treat
like dirt and they just sit in a big pile by the stereo, vinyl is arranged
by what I've last listened to.  I have occasionally grouped together some of
the major artists in my collection (well Hawkwind records).  I have a rough
idea where everything is, which is all I need.

Hmmm, this has actually got me wondering if my electronic music collection
has overtaken my physical collection yet.....nah, I think the gym is a
better use of my time while Sunday lunch (Carbonnade of beef - I love winter
food) cooks then counting the number of songs in my music collections!

Norman