[thechat] keeping track of music?

R.Livsey R.Livsey at cache-22.co.uk
Sun Jan 19 17:30:00 CST 2003

>Shirley Kaiser, SKDesigns wrote:
>

>>Just curious about how you all keep track of your music, whether music on
>>your computer(s) or in physical collections. Have you been really good
>>and set up a systemized catalog?

I have a machine dedicated to mp3s :o)
It's a really basic system with a decent soundcard and big hard drives
in as thats all you need to play mp3s. Running Win2k at the moment,
although I want to switch to linux at some point. In a nice slimline
case, Im saving up to get a better one that fits in nicer with the rest
of my hi-fi equipment as it looks a bit out of place on top of my
CD-player at the moment. Also currently writing a decent winamp plugin
for the LCD display it has so that I can control it from the buttons on
the display as opposed to just over the network and so that I dont need
this machine on constantly just to change tracks!
I control it via a network plugin for winamp, so winamp runs on that
machine but I control it from the main one.

On the machine I have all the mp3s on the D: drive organised as follows:

/artist/albumName - dateReleased/trackNum - trackName.mp3
eg
/Foo Fighters/Foo Fighters LP - 1995/01 - This Is A Call.mp3

Each directory has a playlist in it as follows:
/playlist.m3u                          - everything
/artist/playlist.m3u                  - everything by the artist
/artist/albumName/playlist.m3u - just that album

I wrote a little app in C# that goes through and checks if a dir has a
playlist, and if not it makes one accordingly and updates all the other
playlists according to the above.

--
R.Livsey
Incutio Web Developer