[thechat] b&w photography

Martin Burns martin at easyweb.co.uk
Mon Jan 20 13:48:01 CST 2003

On Thursday, January 16, 2003, at 01:13  pm, Luther, Ron wrote:

>>> I set up a tripod and framed the shot the way I wanted it... Then
>>> snapped a whole roll of film (24 pictures), each picture with slightly
>>> different settings...
>
>>> It's not so much talent as persistence. :)
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

> Ah!  The 'statistical' approach to photography!   ;-)

As used by pretty much every professional photographer.

> The 'tough' part, for me anyway, is keeping a record of those settings

mmmm EXIF data...

> This is where I have high hopes for digital photography.  I can 'burn'
> 100 pictures playing with the manual settings and see the results fairly
> quickly.

Lots of people now using LCD screens instead of Polaroid test shots,
particularly in medium format (yes, you can get medium format digital
backs. They cost several limbs, but are absolutely lovely).
   tel:	+44 (0)774 063 9985				Edinburgh,