[thechat] b&w photography

Martin Burns martin at easyweb.co.uk
Mon Jan 20 14:46:00 CST 2003

On Thursday, January 16, 2003, at 04:48  pm, Scott Dexter wrote:

>> I set up a tripod and framed the shot the way I wanted it...
>> Then snapped a whole roll of film (24 pictures), each picture
>> with slightly different settings... A few of them turned out
>
> we call that "bracketing" --a technique that's well accepted (see:
> Adams, Ansel)

Yep. Although Adams could do things like take a perfect picture by
*knowing* the luminance of the moon and that he wanted to place it in
Zone 7...

as per the original of
http://www.rit.edu/~arton/photographs/adams_moonrise_zoom.html
(which is a crappy reproduction btw and has an unforgiveable sepia tone)

You can also do a *lot* with printing (and/or Photoshop...). I have a
neg which I very, very badly pushed in development from 400ASA to
3200ASA or so by accident (it's a correctly exposed shot). It's a very
thick neg, which takes about a 30 second exposure for an 8x10 inch print.

But the grain on that shot is wonderful - printed on a hard paper and
it's a *fantastic* photo, which would have only been so-so had I
'correctly' developed it. Serendipity.

Cheers
Martin
   tel:	+44 (0)774 063 9985				Edinburgh,