dodgeball (was: [thechat] Jan 18 peace march)

Scott Dexter sgd at ti3.com
Tue Jan 21 15:47:01 CST 2003

aardvark wrote on Tuesday, January 21, 2003 3:31 PM:
>> From: Ben Dyer <ben_dyer at imaginuity.com>
>>
>> Well, after about the fourth time that I was belted in the face in

>> The only thing I learned from dodgeball was how to artfully take
>> myself out of the game during the mass confusion.

When the game starts, there is that period of time when you can safely
ride the herd and not worry about a damn thing. Then the numbers start
to dwindle and your cover is blown. No choice but to get involved at
that point...

I learned there are regional rules to the game (I learned the game with
it being acceptable to dribble the ball after you caught it. Then I
moved to a different part of town, and got myself out I don't know how
many times because it was a habit --it was verboten to dribble the
ball.) Ugh. We also called it "German Dodgeball" Why "German?" I dunno.
When we played outdoors (using your typical basketball court), those who
were out went to the far baseline so they could also attack from behind.
Have two or three balls going at once and oh boy what fun. I too got
quite good at dodging (ever make someone miss from 5 feet? I did, once.
Once.)

Okay I wanna go play now. dammit!

Dex