dodgeball (was: [thechat] Jan 18 peace march)

Sean ethanol at mathlab.sunysb.edu
Tue Jan 21 18:13:00 CST 2003

Howdy,

Come on--it's freakin' dodge ball.  Should all the jocks' parents start a
movement to get calculus out of the schools, too?  I was as athletically
inept as the next geek (didn't learn to swim or ride a 2-wheeler until the
age was in double digits) but rather enjoyed dodge ball--teams and
free-for-all.

The other gym activity that wasn't too much like medieval torture was floor
hockey, but I suppose that was just because the floor was split into thirds,
and you had to stay in your 'lane.'  The jock playing center (or centre)
couldn't run the whole field.  When the puck did roll my way, it couldn't be
worse than a 1-to-1 match up.  (oh please don't hurt with the slashing and
the high sticking and the kung fu fighting (glaven))

Anyway, speaking of kickball, Only a Game had a story some time ago about
adult kickball leagues; something like
http://www.onlyagame.org/features/2002/11/kickball.asp

It started in the Baltimore/DC area, but apparently is spreading, with quote
a few leagues around the USA. There's WAKA--the World Adult Kickball
Association.  DAKA--the Dome Adult Kickball Association.  etc.

Seems the point of the game is to give folks a place to meet before heading
to the pub.  My kind of sport.  And for the record, I have stuck out in slow
pitch softball.

Sean G.