metric system (was Re: [thechat] Jan 18 peace march)

Drew Shiel ashiel at sportsinteraction.com
Fri Jan 24 09:41:00 CST 2003

At 15:13 24/01/2003 +0000, John Handelaar wrote:
>On Fri, 2003-01-24 at 10:18, Garrett Coakley wrote:
>
> > That's only around the border with N. Ireland though isn't it? Or is it
> > a country wide problem?
>
>There's a lot of older signs still in miles in the
>republic.

   They're being phased out in bits and pieces. Sometimes I think the
county councils leave them in so that tourists get lost and bring a bit
more money into the rural areas.

   There's a signpost near my homeplace that points to a village called
Kilrush - not the one in Clare, the much smaller one in Wexford. There's a
sign at the top which says "Kilrush 3". Under it, and pointing the same
way, is one that says "Kilrush 4". And under that, and at right angles to
the top, is one that says "Kilrush 2 1/2". The top one and the bottom one
are in miles, and indicate alternate routes, the middle one is in kilometres.

   The major trouble with it is that the post has been rotated 180 degrees
from the proper orientation, and Kilrush is at most a mile and a half from it.

   Drew.

Drew Shiel                               webmaster at swiftpay.com
                                                     +353-1-2365705