[thechat] Bowling for Columbine

Ken Kogler ken.kogler at curf.edu
Sun Jan 26 16:16:00 CST 2003

> Here, I don't know anyone who has a gun. I don't know anyone who
> feels as though they'd want or need a gun.

Guns are FUN!

I used to be in the Boy Scouts, and had to learn to shoot a .22 rifle.
These days, you can go to a shooting range, rent a handgun, and blast
away at a paper target for awhile. It's quite therapeutic, actually.

That being said, I have no plans to *own* any guns, and can't understand
why people need them for self-defense... I've never pissed off anyone to
the point where I think "I need a gun to keep me safe".

You don't see people keeping bows/arrows for self-defense, do you? (No,
Ted Nugent doesn't count). Why don't people argue that they should have
the right to booby-trap their front door with plastic explosive for
self-defense?

So anyway, guns != evil, but that doesn't mean I'm comfortable with
concealed weapons laws or the average Joe keeping one in their house...

--Ken