[thechat] Bowling for Columbine

Erik Mattheis gozz at gozz.com
Sun Jan 26 20:47:00 CST 2003

On Sunday, January 26, 2003, at 04:02 PM, isaac wrote:
> My favourite part of Bowling for Columbine was Chris Rock's comedic
> routine
> about the price of bullets.

The opening line to the routine was classic: "Guns don't kill people,
bullets kill people!"

On Sunday, January 26, 2003, at 04:15 PM, Ken Kogler wrote:
> You don't see people keeping bows/arrows for self-defense, do you?

Have to admit I don't know of any instances, but lots of people keep
baseball bats and such in handy locations for such a purpose. I used to
before I moved into a second floor apartment in a building where my
neighbors don't prop the outer door open with a brick. And I have no
problem with someone trained and responsible in firearm safety keeping
a gun for self-defense. I'm on the fence on the issue of outlawing
handgun ownership by private citizens. Seems to me that a rifle would
be just as effective in self-defense, and far harder to commit many
types of crimes with. And for those who enjoy using handguns for target
shooting could rent them at the range, much like most people who enjoy
aiming at bowling pins don't actually own their own bowling balls.
Erik Mattheis
(612) 377 2272
<http://goZz.com/>