[thechat] Bowling for Columbine

Erik Mattheis gozz at gozz.com
Mon Jan 27 20:29:00 CST 2003

On Monday, January 27, 2003, at 03:49 PM, Hugh Blair wrote:
> Not to mention the Dems with their pithy "We're doing it for the
> children!" message among others, as they're unable to flex
> a muscle they don't have...

Heh ... the only Google results I get for
<http://www.google.com/
search?q=%22doing+it+for+the+children%22+democratic> are from
conservative sources which criticize democrats (and most quite dated,
BTW).

I modified my use of "pithy" with "meaningless" - ie, where is the
substance in "getting things done", "changing the tone"? Getting _what_
done? Changing the tone _for what reason_? Republican catch phrases are
generally devoid of context. And Repubs seem to realize this as well
and are OK with it - research the origin of "Axis of Evil" for a
textbook example.

I kinda find it sad that you imply that political power plays are a
positive thing ... "Might Makes Right" was proven wrong a couple
millennia ago with the writing of The Republic and was stamped out of
existence many centuries ago with the signing of the Magna Carta ...
Erik Mattheis
(612) 377 2272
<http://goZz.com/>