[thechat] Business Software Alliance??

Luther, Ron Ron.Luther at hp.com
Wed Jan 29 07:17:00 CST 2003

abbey noted:

>>Got a letter in the mail about this Business Software Alliance and that it's
>>investigating my area for unlicensed software. They come across with this
>>quasi-governmental attitude and veiled threats and so forth.

>>Anybody else get this? Are they really investigating?

Hi Abbey,

I've read a little bit about BSA from time to time.  They seem to be the
software industry equivalent to the music industry's RIAA.

My understanding is that they are a pretty large and well funded group ...
[They have a lot of "name" company members.] They are also pretty 'active'.
Every so often there is a news story about some company getting fined for
software piracy. Looks like the latest was last week:
http://www.bsa.org/usa/press/newsreleases//2003-01-26.1439.phtml?type=policy

Hmmmm ... looks like Chicago is one of the 7 US cities they are currently
targeting anit-piracy campaigns in; Chicago, Boston, Albuquerque, Dallas,
Louisville, Harrisburg, Seattle.  Since it was a letter, my guess is that
you got that as part of a generic mailing to businesses in Chicago and that
it wasn't particularly 'personal'.

{If it had been an on-screen message, I would have guessed that you got hit
with the "Opaserv" worm.}

Best,

RonL.