[thechat] LotR (was: hot actresses)

Quackamoe quackamoe at yahoo.com
Wed Jan 29 10:22:05 CST 2003

--- isaac <isaac at members.evolt.org> wrote:

> Weren't all the elves killed at Helm's Deep? The
> handful of defenders that
> survived withdrew and then charged. The other
> survivors were Gandalf plus Rohirrim.

A lot of elves were killed. Haldir was killed. But I
didn't see anything that showed that *all* the elves
at Helm's Deep were killed. It was just somebody's
speculation that the surviving elves would accompany
Aragorn on the Paths of the Dead.

> > PJ has already said they're not doing the Scouring
> of
> > the Shire. They *are* doing the Grey Havens
> though.
>
> So, does Saruman get killed?

Most likely, but it'll be a differerent demise from
what's in the book. There was a photo on the web of
him
being impaled way back before we'd even heard about
the
absence of Bombadil.

> > Theoden and Aragorn came to the rescue at Minas
> > Tirith.
>
> Theoden wasn't at Helms Deep in the book, right?

He was there but spent most of his time up in the
Hornburg I think. His recovery from the Grima/Saruman
conspiracy wasn't as quick in the book as it was in
the film. Of course, in the book it wasn't a posession
either.

> a grim battle against overwhelming numbers, but not
> quite that many.

Yeah, 300 Rohirrim defending Helm's Deep? It was a
lot more than 300. Plus it was Erkenbrand who comes
to the rescue, along with a host of huorns. Can you
say "Burnham Wood"? BTW, JRRT was rather disattisfied
with the way Shakespeare has "Great Burnham Wood to
High Dunsinane Hill Shall Come..." and the huorns at
Helm's Deep reflect that. He also thought that having
the "no man of woman born" thing mean a caesarean was
kinda cheap and he addresses that in ROTK. nudge nudge
wink wink to them's as have read it and I won't say
any more for them's as haven't.

Terry
who seems to be posting more about LotR on thechat
than on his 9 tolkien groups all of a sudden.