[thechat] Presentation of food

Tara Cleveland tara at taracleveland.com
Thu Jan 30 14:56:00 CST 2003

Madhu Menon wrote:
> Except take their 15% tip, I suppose?
>
> Damn tipping culture. :p
>
> (I've heard from friends how waiters in certain restaurants there shouted
> at them for not leaving enough money, and they weren't being stingy.)

Well, restaurant serving staff here don't make as much waged money as most
people. In fact, the minimum wage for waiters here is lower than for
everyone else. So waiters depend on tips to make enough $$ to survive. Of
course, some waiters in fancy restaurants can make a *lot* of money. I've
heard of senior waiters making $80-100k (Canadian) per year in tips at a top
Toronto restaurant. Your average restaurant waiter really depends on tips to
make a decent living though.

Tara