[thechat] Presentation of food

Madhu Menon webguru at vsnl.net
Fri Jan 31 03:34:00 CST 2003

At 02:41 PM 31-01-03, Martin Burns wrote:
>Italy's culture is that you'll leave pocket change for good service, and
>that's it.
>
>I *like* that.

In Oz and Singapore, tipping is not required.

I like *that*. ;)

>Hang on - is that on the bill, so a service charge rather than a tip? Do
>they expect a tip as well?

If there's a service charge, I don't leave a tip. Simple. A tip *is*
supposed to be the service charge.
Here in India, 10% is about the norm in more upmarket restaurants. In
smaller places, leave any change you want. Actually, I tend to leave bigger
tips in smaller places for good service because those poor fellas make much
less money, and the extra coins would help them a lot more.

I was reading this rant site a year about restaurant tipping, where they
wrote, "You know that lousy steak? We didn't make it, so don't take out
your anger at the chef on the service staff. Leave a proper tip even if the
food wasn't good."

Madhu