More on tipping (Re: [thechat] Presentation of food

abbey abbey at abbeyink.com
Fri Jan 31 09:23:00 CST 2003

On Fri January 31 2003 3:15 am, Martin Burns wrote:
> Hang on - is that on the bill, so a service charge rather than a tip? Do
> they expect a tip as well?

Around here, the tip is added to the bill when you have a large party. We had
a group go to a brunch and the tip was on the bill. We argued and argued
(since the service was so poor, it was a buffet so we had to serve ourselves
anyway).

So, some places fully expect you to pay the gratuity and they ensure it for
their staff by placing it on the bill. Some places will even have that
information on the menu that with parties of xx or more, a 15-percent (or
whatever) gratuity will be added to the check.

Madhu, I've heard there are even some restaurants so popular that the
waitstaff pays the restaurant to work there and their income is solely from
tips.