[thechat] Presentation of food

Drew Shiel ashiel at sportsinteraction.com
Fri Jan 31 09:39:00 CST 2003

At 09:30 31/01/2003 -0600, Ben Dyer wrote:
I was wondering about this, though: how many expensive restaurants get
>repeat business?  I mean, maybe for business clients, but how many
>restaurants do you end up going to only once?  If you know you're not going
>to get repeat business, why bother with the service, maybe?

   Unless I'm holidaying, I'm almost certain to go back to a restaurant if
I like it - be it for food, service, or whatever. To the point where in one
good Chinese, they recognise me and Nina, and bring us jasmine tea and
chopsticks as we're sitting down, and in our favourite Italian, we ALWAYS
get the best seat, even if there's a reserved sign on it; they move the
sign elsewhere. From the number of people addressed by name by the waiters
and floor managers in these two, I'm fairly sure they get a good bit of
repeat business. They're reasonable to expensive, price-wise - c. 80-90
Euros for a 3-course for 2 with house wine.

   And recommendations and critics have huge effects on restaurant
business, too.

   Drew.

Drew Shiel                               webmaster at swiftpay.com
                                                     +353-1-2365705