[thechat] satellite tv recording problem

Andy Warwick mailing.lists at creed.co.uk
Sat Feb 1 09:08:11 CST 2003

On Saturday, February 1, 2003, at 02:48  pm, Ashok Hariharan wrote:

> I have a problem recording satellite tv programs, heres my setup:
>
> I have a satellite tv decoder through which i recieve various channels
> like
> cnn, bbc, discovery, movie channels etc.  -- to switch between sat-tv
> channels
> i have to switch the channels on my decoder remote (and not on the tv).
>
> I am able to record sat-tv programs on my vcr -- unfortunately i am
> able to
> record only the current channel on the decoder
>
> this leads to some problems :
> --- if i want to use the VCR timer to record bbc from 1 am to 2 am and
> CNN
> from 2 am to 3 am , i cant ! because the VCR cannot "change" channels
> on
> the decoder automatically..

Ashok

You don't say what make, or which company supplies your decoder, but if
it is anything like mine you can switch channels automatically.

Look for some sort of 'reminder' function in the menus on the decoder.
On mine (a Pace box supplied by NTL) you can go into the program
listings menu, then either set either an on-screen reminder or an
auto-tune, so that a couple of minutes before the program starts the
box auto-changes channel to the correct setting.

I'm guessing most cable or sat decoders have something similar.

Once that's set, you set your video to record from whichever channel
you have set as the 'satellite' channel, and leave the decoder to
switch the signal that's coming out of the back of the box.

My setup is:

	Decoder ---- SCART ---- Video ---- SCART ---- TV (Channel 6)

That way I set the video to record on channel 6 for the two time slots,
and use the onboard program reminder on the decoder to switch channel.

Hope that explains it okay.

--
Andy Warwick

Creed New Media Design, Nottingham, UK