[thechat] Is NASA lost in space

Alan McCoy a.r.mccoy at larc.nasa.gov
Tue Feb 4 08:45:00 CST 2003

Okay, first of all, I'd like to thank those of you who have expressed
condolences to the familes and co-workers of the seven scientists and
pilots who were lost this weekend. I can tell you that yesterday was
pretty grim around here at NASA Langley. Lots of saddened faces, news
trucks, and a unsettlingly quiet cafeteria have cast a shadow here as we
all start the painful task of figuring out what went wrong.

:: >Why isn't the author talking about the $1
:: >trillion Bush is requesting for the military. For a year! NASA is
:: >spending $15b/yr. The military is about to get an increase that is
:: >double that, and not for research or exploration, but only
:: to control
:: >and destroy.
::
:: I'm having trouble pulling up the article in question but I
:: agree that $15 billion struck me as being not all that much
:: in terms of the big picture...

The budget issue has been a thorn in NASA's side for many years now. As
the budget was slashed a number of years ago, the Mars Rover project
team was faced with the decision of either scrapping the project or
proceeding with a reduced budget. They chose to proceed, informing team
participants that they would be asked to give 150% and a lot of long
hours to successfully complete the mission. Despite the decreased
budget, the mission was a huge success (except for that big damn rock!)
and gave a lot of people here a great boost of pride. It takes a huge
amount of human and techinical coordination to launch, monitor, and land
a shuttle and it continues to amaze me that NASA is able to do it as
frequently as we do for the amount of money we have to work with. Sure,
it's peanuts compared to the amount the military has to work with, but
it's truly incredible what we're able to do with it.

:: then again... I still don't
:: know why we don't first figure out how to learn how to live
:: in the environment for which we are supposed to be
:: evolutionarily adapted.

We already are doing just that. In addition to researching and exploring
space (...the final frontier...sorry, couldn't resist...), NASA has done
vital research in experimental, commercial, and yes, military aviation.
Especially in the area of safety, aerodynamics, and noise reduction.
Space research is just a part (a BIG part, but just a part) of NASA's
overall mission. We also reach into other areas not as directly related
to aerospace, like energy conservation and alternative fuels. Next time
you're on driving on the interstate and notice the series of grooved cut
into the road to channel rain off the surface, thank NASA.

Yeah, I'm sure I sound like a voice-over for a promotional video, but it
just seems like NASA takes a real beating about its importance whenever
a mission goes wrong.

Alan