REL [thechat] Is NASA lost in space

Erika Meyer erika at seastorm.com
Tue Feb 4 12:42:00 CST 2003

>  >We can't even figure out how to live well on earth wtf are we
>doing in space?
>If we waited on humanity to grow up before every technological
>innovation, we'd still be running around chasing small animals
>around with a big rock to catch dinner...

you say that like its a *bad* thing... ;-)

Soon there will be no small animals to catch, no clean water to
drink.  So rather than putting our resources into ceasing the
destruction we seek new planets to exploit?

My point wasn't about technological innovation it was about spoiling
your nest and then moving on to the next nest, spoiling it, moving on
to the next nest...

The idea of space as a "frontier" to be conquered.  A place to
colonize.  At some point the costs of this attitude outweigh the
benefits.

Wouldn't it be smarter to backtrack and ask what kinds of
technological innovations are going to benefit the most humans, for
the least cost, for the longest time?

Wouldn't those be technological innovations that decrease or
eliminate the rate of nest-spoilage?  (via renewal and working within
natural cycles)

My point is that *this* kind of innovation lacks the flash and
glory... it is a more holistic dare I say more a feminine approach to
problem solving.  Earth-centered not outer-space centered.

And yes, we are making choices.  We are choosing to think a certain
way (linear,  exploitative, penetrating, masculine)  and putting the
vast majority of our energy and resources into that approach.

Erika