[thechat] Is NASA lost in space

Judah McAuley judah at wiredotter.com
Tue Feb 4 13:13:06 CST 2003

Alan McCoy wrote:
> We already are doing just that. In addition to researching and exploring
> space (...the final frontier...sorry, couldn't resist...), NASA has done
> vital research in experimental, commercial, and yes, military aviation.
> Especially in the area of safety, aerodynamics, and noise reduction.
> Space research is just a part (a BIG part, but just a part) of NASA's
> overall mission. We also reach into other areas not as directly related
> to aerospace, like energy conservation and alternative fuels. Next time
> you're on driving on the interstate and notice the series of grooved cut
> into the road to channel rain off the surface, thank NASA.
>
> Yeah, I'm sure I sound like a voice-over for a promotional video, but it
> just seems like NASA takes a real beating about its importance whenever
> a mission goes wrong.

Sorry things are so down at work.  All the NASA people I've known were
very dedicated to the whole organization and not just their own little
project.  It seems like our government has gotten away from doing big,
important things that really make a long term impact.  NASA is one of
the few places left like that and I know that the people there have a
big emotional stake in what they do.

To continue on Alan's point about the other things NASA does, they also
play a big part in remote sensing and monitoring of our planet.  They
work they've done or participated in has greatly improved our
understanding of our planet, especially weather cycles, drought and
flood conditions, temperature change, and deforestation.  They have also
lead the way with building Beowulf (Linux) clusters which are allowing
more groups to do more modeling and calculations for far less money than
would have been required before.

I still think that Government's job is to do the big, important,
long-term things that private industry won't do because the possible
payoff is too far out.  NASA is still doing a great job of that and I
hope that accidents like this don't chill people's attitudes toward a
fine example of what a Government agency can do.

Judah