[thechat] Prof refuses recommendation if you don't believe in evolution

Plunkett, Matt MPlunkett at MSA.com
Tue Feb 4 13:27:17 CST 2003

I saw this on K5 last week...I think you've opened the floodgates on this
one. :)

Anyway...take a look at your subject.  It's not correct.  Biologists who
think evolution happened accept it as a scientific theory.  There is no
"belief" involved, or at least not belief in the faith-based sense.  Sure,
they _believe_ it happened, but if someone came along with a better
theory...they'd abandon it in a heartbeat.  This is fundamentally different
than a creationist's "belief" that creation was done in one swell foop.
That belief cannot be abandoned by better data, because it is not based on
data.  This distinction is important.

Anyway, back on target...the professor is completely within his rights IMHO
because he is

a) right to refuse anyone a recommendation
b) not discriminating based on any particular religion, but rather on
   knowledge and acceptance of biological theory (he is a biology prof
after all)

As has been mentioned in many places elsewhere, the theory of evolution is
central to modern biology and medicine...the adaptation of bacteria to
antibiotics being the most commonly known example.

Before anyone goes there, I'd also like to mention that even though
evolution is a "theory", so is gravity and a bunch of other stuff everyone
takes for granted. :)

Madha, the prof is Catholic IIRC.  He is not discriminating based on a
belief in God.

*dons asbestos suit*