[thechat] Replacement of Marshmallows

Paul Cowan evolt at funkwit.com
Wed Feb 5 22:55:01 CST 2003

Hi Syed,

> I am supposed to use Marshmallows at many places. But there is a
> problem. We don't have marshmallows in our country. In addition, I don't
know
> what they really are. I looked in dictionaries but it couldn't help.

Well, a 'marshmallow' is technically a plant that grows in swamps,
but usually it refers to a kind of confectionery which (I think) used
to be flavoured with this plant, but is now artificially flavoured (much
like pretty much any sweet that is 'banana' or 'vanilla' flavoured,
these days, has no actual banana or vanilla in it).

The sweet is very hard to explain; it's mostly sugar, slightly gelatinous,
very 'squishy' and chewy. They are commonly 'roasted' by impaling them
on sticks and holding them over a fire when camping.

What they call a 'large' marshmallow would be about the size of... maybe
a strawberry? A 'small' one would be about the size of a grape.

I honestly can't think of anything edible which matches the consistency
of a marshmallow; the consistency is slighty 'firmer' than, say, shaving
cream or hair mousse, but they are kind of 'foamy' like that.

In this case, if you want an edible replacement, a grape might actually
be about the right size for the ends of the booms, but is nothing at all
like a marshmallow; for the middle, I can't really think of anything that
would match.

Probably the closest you could get to the consistency of the marshmallow
in a *non*-edible medium would be somewhere between foam rubber (as is
used in cheap mattresss), and what is commonly known in Australia as
'Blu-Tac', which is reusable adhesive for putting posters on walls.

I have no idea if they have "Turkish Delight" in Pakistan, but chunks of
that would probably do as well. Much nicer to eat, too!

Hope this helps,

Paul

PS: I can't believe how difficult it is to describe the concept of a
marshmallow. They're surprisingly... unique!