[thechat] interesting

Erika Meyer emeyer at lclark.edu
Thu Feb 6 18:50:01 CST 2003

Kev wrote:
>>  for that matter) are extremely liberal.

Chomsky says it is important to portray the media as liberal* so that
you can portray anything more "liberal" than the media as "radical"
or over-the-top or just plan whacko.  It's a brillant propaganda
move.  They set the "liberal" marker at the media and measure
everyone else accordingly.

*wtf-ever "liberal" means -- wanting to *conserve* our natural
resources is "liberal" -- that makes no sense to me.

Judah wrote:
>Or watch Fox "News".

nice use of quotation marks.

The TV people are living in a different reality as far as I can tell,
and I wouldn't call it liberal... so much as just... clueless and
fluffy.  The world is going down in flames and they are entralled by
Halle Berry's bikini.

Judah wrote:
>I consider it more Corporate media rather than Conservative
>media but its completely laughable to call it liberal.

only liberal in the sense that Halle Berry's bikini is liberal.

Judah wrote:
>And he still lost the popular vote after outspending and out lying his
>opponents.  Only the democrats could have done things so stupidly as to
>lose that election.

Those democrats might be stupid but they sure aren't "liberal."
"Cowardly" would be an acceptable adjective.

Everyone's trying to be fluffy like the TV people.
Maybe if they were all busty blondes it would go over better....

>Bush's answer:

Bush is of course, completely off his rocker.
For me, the jury is out on how far into the depths of hell
the rest of our country (and the world) will follow him.

Or, what it will take to stop the journey.  Perhaps it is unstoppable...

He reminds me of Captain Ahab who obsessively followed the deadly
white whale around the world for his own selfish purposes.  "That's
the guy that bit my leg off!"

Because Ahab was the ship's captain, no one had the guts to try and
stop him until it was far too late.  Finally Ahab is carried off by
the whale and the whole ship (a global microcosm) is sucked down into
a giant whirlpool...

Ishmael, the only survivor, pops up clinging to a coffin... picked up
by the Rachel -- Remember?  Rachel "weeping for her children."

but I digress.

There's sort of a sick pleasure that comes from watching wrecks and
sinking ships.

I'm just sorry to see children, elderly, and otherwise vulnerable
citizens suffer as they are caught in the worst of it.

Erika